Before you merrily join any affiliate program it pays to consider which affiliate programs are the best to join. These are the crucial program features that I consider necessary inclusions in any affiliate program.
- The affiliate program must have a generous payment structure. For me, this means a high commission payment, which is a high percentage of the purchase price – nothing under a 25% commission.
- Make sure the affiliate program you’re about to join has a professional looking site. You don’t want to send visitors to a site that looks unprofessional.
- Make sure that the affiliate program has a comprehensive affiliate statistics page, which lists the number of click-throughs, the number of sales, and the amount you’ve earned to date. This should be broken down by month.
- Make sure that these affiliate statistics are “real time”. This means statistics which are updated automatically and immediately. You do not want to find out today about a sale you made a week ago.
- Ensure that the affiliate program provides you with a wide variety of text links, banners and graphics to put on your web page. Personally I prefer to use text links. However, certain other types of banners and graphics still work well.
- Know how often you are going to be paid. If you’re tossing up between 2 programs and one pays monthly and the other pays quarterly, the one which pays monthly is a better arrangement. You don’t want to wait months before you get paid for your hard work.
- An affiliate program, which offers a special monthly newsletter just for its affiliates is also great. Here, you’ll also get extra tips and information on techniques that are working well.
- Ensure that the program provides top-level support for its affiliates. If theycannot answer your query immediately make sure they respond within 48 hours. Good, timely support is critical to your success.